The work in an automotive Colour and Trim has some peculiarities that require specific skills. This is why I decided to create an hypothetic job description tailored on what the market seems to seek most. The job description below is based on the standard CMF designer job description a collection of the most common skills required for many job offers on-line.
As a CMF Designer at (Company name), you will be part of a creative team that is responsible for designing the future of transportation.
- You will work to translate trends into award-winning designs that inspire customers throughout the world.
- You have a passion for colours, materials and finishes and how it communicates a message about the brand.
- You have a keen eye for aesthetics, design details and understand the luxury market (or others specifically market that the Company needs)
- You’re highly creative, open to pushing new boundaries, work extremely well in groups, anticipate and plan ahead.
- You seek to inspire and be inspired.
- You enjoy both the creative and production process.
- You know how to take an idea from concept and see it through to production.
- You collaborate with suppliers, engineers, manufacturing and design to stretch the envelope and develop new processes and approaches
- BS/BA degree in Product Design, car design interior, industrial design, Art
- xx + years of experience, preferably with a significant amount of that time spent in the automotive industry
- Expertise and understanding of manufacturing
- Mass production experience
- Processes and materials
- Exceptional visualisation and presentation skills
- Skilled and passionate in the art of negotiation: Ability to push, pull and drag ideas through the production process when there is little budget (or corporate appetite) to do so. (skill suggested by Shawn Campbell Colour & Materials Designer at Aston Martin Lagonda)
- High colour acuity
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator, KeyShot, Alias Studio, Mockup360, VRed or relative software for automotive industry used internally (http://www.autodesk.com/industry/product-design-manufacturing/automotive-design-development)
- Passion for Colour, Material, Finish and new Technology.
- Experience in design and development of consumer products ideally within the aviation/transport industry
- Demonstrate high aptitude of information gathering and analysis, directing and managing the researchers.
- Communicate with internal and external functions, forging international relations and networks with manufacturers.
- To bring fresh and innovative ideas, with a passion to scout emerging technologies.
- Reporting research results to design leads regularly.
- International travel on industry exhibitions, clients, and suppliers
Job responsibilities (depend on of the automotive Company)
- Manage a small team of designers in the ideation, concept development and execution of final colour, materials and finishes designs of interior and exterior.
- Collaborate with exterior and interior designers in developing appropriate CMF palettes
- Provide solutions and details with principal materials as fabrics, wood, metals, plastic
- Work closely with suppliers, engineering and manufacturing to implement production
- Colour trends research and colour trends analysis for plastics, metals and their manufacturing process
- Colour checking of gold samples from factory
- Develop supplier relationships and generate new resources for materials
- Track trends and apply the information toward advanced designs (2-4 years previously)
- Design and execute trend boards and mood/inspiration boards presentation
- Contribute to the building of a materials library and implementing new processes
- Promote growth and develop talent within your design team
Please, help me to improve this page and write what I missed in a comment. Thank you
You can read the next article about “CMF designer Job description for electronics & devices Industry“.