Looking at CMF designer positions available around the web I found that many have something in common. This is why I decided to collect these similarities and create a standard Job description.
When you are looking for a CMF designer position, you should come across in a job description with general information that you need to know.
Good to know that the CMF designer can work in different fields, as:
- electronics & devices
- transportation & automotive
- sport and accessories
- interior design
- beauty products
- kitchen accessories
- boating and yacht
- fashion accessories
- sexy toys
The first job description below is my version of a “Standard CMF designer“. Please, help me improve this page and write what I missed in a comment.
The CMF Designer will support the creation of strategic palette development for use across (Company name)’s global product portfolio. The CMF designer will also ensure CMF strategies support and further enhance the brand experience.
Develop strong colour, material, and finish solutions that maximise the designs appeal and effectiveness while maintaining cost targets.Assist in creating and coordinating visual prototypes both in-house and with external agencies.
Assist in creating and coordinating visual prototypes both in-house and with external agencies.
This position is multidisciplinary – the desire and ability to seamlessly work with other functions as Industrial Design, Interactive Design, Graphic Design, Marketing, and Engineering in our different studios (departments or offices).
As a Color and Material Designer, you must represent our company well by being responsible, punctual and motivated to go above and beyond the call of duty. You must also be highly detail-oriented and organised with excellent analytic and problem-solving abilities. It is also important that you display excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred in Industrial Design, Fine Arts or equivalent
- A creative portfolio
- Passion for Colour, Material, Finishes and new Technology
- Build a comprehensive knowledge of materials and finishes and identify their potential
- Ability to accurately analyse colour and material issues and effectively communicate solutions
- Good communicator: written and oral, well-organized & motivated, and ability to work independently
- Must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Illustrator and KeyShot, Solidworks or Pro-Engineering, Rhino or Alias Studio
- Pattern making ability
- Assist in the development and implementation of complex and innovative concepts
- Demonstrate high aptitude of information gathering and analysis, directing and managing the researchers
- You’re highly creative, open to pushing new boundaries, work extremely well in groups, anticipate and plan ahead
- You seek to inspire and be inspired.
- Available to travel abroad
Job responsibilities (depend on of the Company/Studio/department):
- Forecast and analyse colour, material and finish trends
- Present and communicate colour direction and strategy to a wide audience
- Produce high-quality renderings to effectively illustrate CMF solutions
- Maintain and communicate CMF strategy documents
- Collaborate with other design disciplines, product marketing, engineering, and vendors to execute on project objectives, deliverables, and timelines
- Contribute to the building, the maintenance of the CMF library/showroom and implementing new processes
- Develop supplier relationships and generate new resources for materials
- Research and develop mood boards and colour trending in conjunction with the Color & Materials Designer and Industrial Designers
- Reporting research results to design leads regularly
If you are looking for a specific CMF designer role you can read the next article about “Job description CMF designer for automotive industry“.